Are you looking to enhance the security of your apartment? In this article, I share the best locks for your apartment doors. Whether you’re looking to secure an interior door, your front door, an Airbnb or other vacation rentals, or a sliding glass door, I’ve got you covered.
By the end of my guide, you’ll be surprised by all the options available to make your apartment more secure and don’t worry, there are locks on this list that fit into everyone’s budget.
Let’s get started.
#1) The Addalock Original Portable Door Lock
The Addalock is a useful portable lock you can use on any door inside your home including the front door. The greatest advantage of this lock is it doesn’t require tools to install.
Within seconds, you can install the Addalock on any door. You can also take the Addalock with you anywhere you go. It’s marketed as the perfect lock for staying in an Airbnb or other vacation rentals. I read reviews written by people who used it while staying at hotels as well.
In my opinion, this is a great overall lock that requires zero tools to install. Plus, your landlord can’t get mad because you don’t need to drill any holes or alter anything inside your apartment to use it.
Weight: 4.2 ounces
Below is a video showing you how easy it is to use and install the Addalock:
#2) Defender Security U 10827 Door Lock
Here’s a high-security door lock that requires minimal tools and hardware to install. Depending on the space between your door and jamb, you may only need to screw a few holes, which you can fill later without your landlord complaining.
This lock is designed to protect against someone kicking in your door. It can withstand a massive 800 lbs of force!
You can choose to install this lock on your front door or your bedroom door if you’re living with roommates and want some extra privacy/security.
Weight: 5.9 ounces
The video below shows you how to install and use the lock:
#3) Buddybar Door Jammer
The Buddybar is marketed as “The Strongest Home Security Bar on the Market,” and the product reviews speak for themselves.
The Buddybar can withstand up to 2,560 lbs of force, meaning only Hercules could break through this bar.
It’s designed to work on carpet, tile, vinyl, concrete, and wood.
The greatest advantages of this door jammer are it requires zero tools to install, and you won’t need to modify anything inside your apartment. However, similar to the two locks above it, you can only use it while you’re inside your apartment.
The Buddybar also comes in handy while traveling to use inside your hotel or Airbnb rental.
Weight: 8.2 lbs
#4) SABRE Wedge Door Stop Security Alarm
You don’t need any tools to install the SABRE wedge. Simply put it behind your door and if someone manages to open your door, the pressure from the door triggers the alarm. Plus, the wedge acts as a doorstop.
The light at the top flips on to alert you if the battery is low. Feel free to use the SABRE wedge at your front door, bedroom door, hotel room or Airbnb with confidence it will keep out intruders.
#5) AirLocking – Best Smart Lock and Checkout Button for Airbnb Rentals
For those of you who landed here looking for the best lock for your Airbnb rental, the Airlocking Smart Lock is the one for you.
- Comes with a keypad lock and checkout button
- Automatically emails passcodes and welcome information to your Airbnb guests
- Manage guest access from anywhere in the world and set up custom notifications
- Dedicated support team walks you through the setup process
#6) Schlage Camelot Keypad Deadbolt
You can program up to 19 codes for friends, family or guests. The silicon-coated keypad prevents the numbers from wearing off.
If you purchase the lock through Amazon, they offer an additional package for expert installation.
#7) Schlage Single Cylinder Deadbolt
You may be wondering why I included a good old-fashioned deadbolt lock on this list? Well, this is no ordinary deadbolt lock. It’s a commercial-grade 1 deadbolt lock, which is perfect for your front door or other exterior doors.
Use this type of deadbolt lock with confidence no one is easily picking it or breaking in with a solid kick alone
#8) Doorricade Door Bar
Here’s another type of high-security door lock to protect against home invasion. In order to install this lock, you do need to drill into the inside of your door jamb, which could be a dealbreaker for some of you.
Parents who wrote about installing this door bar for their daughter in NYC painted the perfect picture of a circumstance where this bar comes in handy. It also comes with a lifetime warranty.
#9) Sliding Door Security Bar with Child-Proof Lock
The bar is easy to install and use. Be sure to measure your door before you buy to make sure it fits.
#10) NexTrend Smart Electronic Door Lock
The final lock on my list is another perfect lock for an Airbnb rental or anyone who prefers the convenience keyless entry.
- Uses Bluetooth, a digital keypad or a key to open/lock
- The door automatically locks if the lock is open for a certain time period (no more worrying if you locked your door while you’re outside)
- Comes with an easy-to-use app for Android and iPhone
- The “Dead Lock” feature allows you to lock down your door and block passcode entry in case of emergency
- One-time passwords for friends, family or guests
- Alerts you if the lock senses unusual activity including attempted intrusion
Bonus Apartment Safety Tips
There are additional measures you can take to secure your apartment and enhance your personal safety. When used in conjunction with the locks above, you better protect yourself against theft and home invasion.
- Check out the outside of your apartment at night to make sure it’s well-lit around your home. Intruders are more likely to break into a place that has no/a low level of exterior lighting.
- Remember, your lock is only as strong as your door. Longer screws and reinforced door hinges are good for securing the front door to your apartment. If your door is flimsy or too lightweight, don’t be afraid to say something to your landlord.
- It’s 100% free to call your local police department using their non-emergency number to inquire about the area you’re living in or your apartment building’s security.
- Install inexpensive window security alarms at any windows you feel insecure about
- Don’t use chain locks to secure your doors, especially your front door. It’s easy for an intruder to kick through a chain lock. The first several options I listed above work much better than chain locks.
- If you live alone, take simple measures to make outsiders think you have roommates.
Now you know all the best locks for apartment doors, and I bet everyone found the perfect lock for their needs.
You can’t put a price tag on the peace of mind you get knowing your apartment is secure, not to mention the better sleep you’ll get every night.
Don’t forget to read over the tips above after your install your new lock and best of luck securing your apartment doors!