On the hunt for the best gate locks for your home? No matter your application, our comprehensive guide is here to take care of your needs.
We put our expertise to work to select an arrangement of padlocks, keyless gate locks, garden gate locks, child-safe locks, and automatic gate locks. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
For starters, when choosing a lock for your gate(s), it’s important to consider the following points:
- The level of security you desire
- The gate type to ensure compatibility
- Installation Procedures
- Child & Pet Safety Needs
- Convenience (e.g. you want a lock that’s easy to operate if you open/close your gate often)
Now that you’ve considered those points, let’s start with a quick overview of our top selections in the table below.
Top 10 Gate Locks
|Product||Lock Type||Security Level||Price|
|ABUS 37/55MB50 KA||Keyed Padlock||5/5|
|Mighty Mule FM143||Automatic||4/5|
|Lokklatch Deluxe||Keyed Automatic||3/5|
|Double Keypad Lock||Keyless (Mechanical)||3/5|
|MagnaLatch||Magnetic (Child Safe)||2/5|
|LokkLatch Standard||Keyed Automatic||2/5|
|ABUS 160/40 C 160||Combination Padlock||3.5/5|
|Master Lock M5XTLJ||Keyed Padlock||1.5/5|
Gate Lock Reviews
Now, it’s time to take a closer look at each of the locks from the chart above. So, if you’re still on the fence (no pun intended), the following reviews of each lock will help make your final decision easier.
Firstly, regarding security, it’s no secret that we’re big fans of ABUS locks here. Accordingly, if you came here looking for the most secure padlock for your fence gate, then ABUS should be at the top of your list.
If you decide to venture outside of the ABUS locks included here, then be sure to consider the ABUS security scale that makes it easy to confirm the lock’s security level.
Secondly, you’ve probably already noticed that there’s an assortment of gate locks to choose from, and we did that on purpose. So, if you already know which locks from the table above interest you the most, feel free to scroll down to those locks first.
#1) YARDLOCK MBX-2016Y-3ESF Keyless Gate Lock
The most popular and convenient lock on this list is undoubtedly the Yardlock. As the title suggests, this lock allows for quick keyless entry, and we feel it’s the perfect blend of convenience & security. First, you’ll enjoy the easy one-handed operation from either side of your gate.
Next, the 4-digit combination lock provides more than enough security with up to 10,000 possible combinations.
Lastly, the Yardlock is fairly easy to install and ready to perform in extreme weather conditions. Plus, you’ll like the convenient sliding cover that protects/conceals the combination dial.
- Rust-free operation for all weather conditions
- Up to 10,000 possible combinations
- Set your own height
- Unlocks from both sides
- No batteries or electronics to rely on
- Automatically locks
- Good for wooden gates and double gates
- Not the most secure option
- Might not stand the test of time
- The numbers can be hard to see
#2) ABUS 37/55MB50 KA Granit Padlock
For those who like to rock, ABUS’ Granit is the best padlock for gates. Unlike most locks on the market, this one gives you ultimate security from every angle. Expect the highest level of pick resistance, protection against brute force attacks, and excellent resistance to corrosion.
Plus, the Granit collection features the ABUS Plus disc cylinder that’s butter-smooth to operate and provides maximum security. Finally, the reason we chose model 37/55MB50 KA is the 2″ shackle that gives you more clearance to work with than other Granit models.
As a result, you should have no problem matching this to any type of gate – perhaps with a chain – for maximum security to protect expensive possessions.
- Maximum security
- Novice to intermediate lockpickers have no chance of picking it
- Extra tough black Granit coating is all-weather and ready for outdoor use
- The 2″ shackle length gives you extra clearance for various applications
- No installation required
- Our #1 choice for protecting expensive possessions
- Replacement keys are pricey/not easy to obtain so don’t lose them
- More lock than most people need
- The shackle diameter is too thick for some applications
#3) Mighty Mule FM143 Automatic Gate Lock
For Mighty Mule gate opener owners, the FM143 Automatic Gate Lock is a worthy addition to beef up your security. With a strength rating of up to 2,500 lbs of force, the FM143 brings a high level of pull resistance to the table.
Next, Mighty Mule built this lock for the DIYer to avoid having to pay an expensive professional installation fee. In other words, you’ll find that adding it to your existing system is something you can handle.
A couple of final considerations are that the FM143 works with both single and double gates, plus it automatically locks/unlocks each time you activate your gate. Overall, this lock is perfect for wrought iron driveway gates and similar applications rather than for fences or garden gates.
- Compatible with single and double gates
- Instantly beef up the security of your existing Mighty Mule gate opener
- Eliminates any play in your gate when closed
- DIYer-friendly installation process
- 12-month warranty
- Too heavy for some gates
- The installation may require additional hardware
- Your gate may slow down after installation
#4) National Hardware N346-202 LokkLatch Deluxe
National Hardware’s LokkLatch Deluxe is perfect for securing your fence gate or pool gate. For instance, if you need a gate lock for your backyard fence entrance, this one fits the bill.
Firstly, unlike the YARDLOCK, the LokkLatch uses a key. You’ll find a keyhole on either side of the lock, which is a nice touch to allow you to secure the lock from either side.
Next, it’s easy to customize the lock’s height to suit your wood, metal, or vinyl gate. Regarding construction, the tough polymer housing leaves no chance of rust or staining issues where the lock attaches to your gate.
A couple of final features we like are the push-button entry and smooth-functioning latch positioned on the inside portion of the lock. Also, the LokkLatch Deluxe comes backed by a lifetime warranty from one of the leaders in the hardware department.
- Adjustable height
- Made for use with wooden, metal, and vinyl gates
- Stainless steel and polymer construction to prevent rust
- Lifetime warranty
- Locks from both sides
- Rekeyable lock
- Not hard to pick
- Installation instructions could be better
- Easier to pry open than other options
#5) Code-a-Key All-Weather Double Keypad Mechanical Lock
Another type of lock that’s great for outdoor gates is a mechanical lock. Firstly, this lock requires no batteries to operate, which is always a plus if you want to avoid relying on a power supply.
Secondly, it automatically locks when closed, making it a great lock for family homes with pool gates and children.
To program the lock, you’ll create your own unique code for both sides of the lock. This gives you the opportunity to use the same code for both sides or create a unique code for each side.
Once installed, there are no lock cylinders to pick, and the lock itself sits flat against your gate, making it harder to remove with force. Comparatively, this lock provides a higher level of security than a keyed latching gate lock such as the LokkLatch.
- No keyholes to tamper with
- Program unique codes for both sides
- Codes can be entered in any order
- No batteries required
- Automatically locks when the gate closes
- Rekeyable lock
- Prevents reach-through unlocking
- Sleek appearance
- Changing the code requires the removal of the lock
- Must remember the code since there’s no backup key
- Installation is not the most beginner-friendly
#6) Seco-Larm E-942FC-1300 Enforcer Electromagnetic Gate Lock
An electromagnetic lock is for people who prefer the convenience and the ability to remotely unlock their gates. However, it’s important to keep in mind that this type of lock is not made for the DIYer. Instead, you’ll most likely want to hire a professional unless you’re handy with installing electric components.
Regarding compatibility, the Enforcer works with both sliding and swinging gates. After installation, it provides a whopping 1200 lbs of holding force with magnets alone. Plus, you’ll find that an electromagnetic lock has one of the most aesthetic appearances of all gate locks.
Finally, always consider choosing a fail-safe electromagnetic lock such as Seco-Larm’s Enforcer for residential gate applications. Because with the fail-safe feature, your gate will automatically unlock in the event of a power outage for your safety.
- Corrosion-resistant stainless steel construction
- Can be remotely controlled
- 12000-lb holding force
- Compatible with sliding and swinging gates
- No need to program/remember any codes or rely on keys
- Fail-safe design for safety
- Requires additional components to customize the installation
- Most likely requires professional installation
- Requires a constant power supply to maintain security
#7) D&D Technologies ML3VPKA MagnaLatch
The MagnaLatch is one of the best gate locks for pool areas and families with young children. The vertical pull design is out of the reach of children and pets, yet easy for adults to operate. Also, if your gate is short enough for your children to reach, the MagnaLatch’s design gives you extra height for added safety.
Regarding construction, the MagnaLatch is built to last with durable polymer & marine-grade stainless steel that’ll survive in any climate. Lastly, the MagnaLatch features a re-keyable locking cylinder to provide an extra layer of security when you’re away from home.
All in all, this lock is perfect for families who want a gate lock that functions smoothly while protecting their children and pets.
- Easy for adults to reach while staying out of the reach of children & pets
- One of the most convenient gate locks for pool areas and gardens
- An internal magnetic locking mechanism
- Re-keyable 6-pin cylinder
- Marine-grade stainless steel that won’t rust
- Self-latching design
- Built for safety before security
- Not the most intuitive design (can be problematic for people who regularly host guests)
#8) National Hardware N346-201 LokkLatch
If you liked the LokkLatch Deluxe but not the price tag that comes with it, then the LokkLatch standard is your solution. While not quite as robust as the Deluxe version, the LokkLatch offers mostly the same functionality.
You’ll find that it’s a great minimal-security gate lock for yard fences and pool gates. One key difference to keep in mind between the standard version and Deluxe is that the LokkLatch standard only locks from the inside. Additionally, there’s no push-button access.
Depending on your application, you may find that this lock is suitable, though, if you require access from both sides of your gate, stick with the Deluxe version or another option in this guide.
- One of the easiest installations
- More affordable than the Deluxe version
- Vertical & horizontal adjustments for enhanced compatibility
- Built with the same all-weather materials as the Deluxe version
- A good choice for small pipe gates
- Minimal security
- Keyhole on one side only
- No push-button entry
#9) ABUS 160/40 C 160 All-Weather Combination Padlock
Now, let’s get back to the padlocks. ABUS’ 160/40 is the perfect combination padlock for fence gates. Unlike Granit locks and most common padlocks, you get the convenience of a resettable combination dial. Plus, since it’s ABUS, you know you’re getting a heavy-duty lock for the money.
Unlock cheap padlocks, this lock gives you real protection against prying, cutting, pulling, and drilling attacks. Additionally, expect smooth operation with this lock and excellent corrosion resistance from the internal & external steel construction.
Lastly, you’ll notice that there’s extra clearance below the shackle with a wider distance to make the 160/40 C nearly universal. All things considered, this is a great weatherproof padlock for securing gates that you don’t need to access often.
- More affordable than ABUS Granit padlocks
- More secure than common Stanley and Master Lock padlocks
- Built for use in all weather conditions
- Extra shackle clearance for enhanced compatibility
- One-handed smooth operation
- Not as speedy as other gate locks
- 3-digit rather than 4
#10) Master Lock M5XTLJ Magnum Outdoor Padlock
Our final pick is a minimal-security, get-the-job-done type of padlock that’s the most affordable gate lock in this guide.
Firstly, the reason we like this lock is that it’s built to handle the weather better than other Master Lock models. Next, the long shackle gives you extra length to work with for more unique gate applications.
Third, the octagonal boron-carbide shackle offers better protection against cutting attacks than a standard hardened steel Master Lock shackle.
Finally, if you need two padlocks, there’s a 2-pack available that’s keyed alike for added convenience. Overall, this is one of the better Master Lock padlocks on the market, especially for the money.
- Suffiicent weather resistance
- 2-pack keyed alike available
- Enhanced cut resistance (hard to cut with bolt cutters)
- Extra-long shackle
- Not as secure or smooth as ABUS
- Rust may develop over time in moist environments
Best Smart Lock for Gates – MEGAFEIS Biometric Outdoor Padlock
One final lock you may want to consider is the affordable MEGAFEIS biometric padlock. Unlike the other locks in this guide, this one gives you the convenience of biometric fingerprint access. Just be sure to consider that a biometric lock in this price range isn’t going to work flawlessly.
With the right expectations, this is a nice little padlock for people who want to upgrade their gate lock to a smart lock. In addition to biometric access, you also get the added advantage of Bluetooth functionality that allows you to operate the lock via your smartphone.
Finally, IP65 waterproof protection gives you decent weather resistance, and the long 6-month standby battery life is nice to see. In the event that you do run out of power, simply connect the lock to a USB power supply for it to function.
- Quickest access (no keys or combinations required)
- Bluetooth connectivity with app use
- Track your opens within the app
- IP65 weatherproof rating makes it a good outdoor lock for gates
- Long battery life between charges
- No override function or backup key
- Does not read moist fingertips well
- Minimal security compared to other padlocks
As promised, no matter your application, this is a collection of the best gate locks on the market. To make your decision even easier, it’s wise to consider how often you plan to use the lock, who needs to use the lock, and the level of security you desire. Once you do a little bit of brainstorming your final decision becomes a piece of cake.
Types of Gate Locks
As a final reminder, here’s a list of the types of gate locks available to you:
- Outdoor/Weatherproof Padlocks
- Mechanical Push-Button
- Keyed Latch Type
- Combination Padlocks
- Biometric/Smart Padlocks
That’s it! Don’t be afraid to think outside the box when selecting your lock.