Welcome to our 2020 alumni guide to choosing the best waterproof college backpack. Whether you want to keep electronics such as your laptop or expensive tablet 100% dry, we’ve got you covered with our list of the top 5 best waterproof college backpacks.
To be crystal clear, these backpacks are both waterproof and water-resistant, not just water-resistant.
Two of the packs in our top five are rated to remain waterproof when completely submerged underwater, while the others are made of reliable water-resistant materials.
We’re excited about this article because we love these types of packs, and there are some really awesome options available for college students.
You’ll find that these packs serve every purpose: travel, school, commuting, camping, gaming, you name it.
||Features & Highlights
|#1 Best Waterproof Backpack for College Students
#1 Pelican U100 Elite Backpack w/ Laptop Storage
View at Amazon!
- Pelican (the makers of the popular Pelican case) manufacture some of the best waterproof backpacks on the market
- Fits standard laptops up to 15″ or a 17″ Mac in a waterproof, crush-proof built-in Pelican case
- IP67-Tested to remain 100% waterproof for 30 minutes in up to 3ft of water
- Easy-open push-button latch and Pressure EQ valve to prevent vacuum lock effect
- Internal organization pockets for pens & pencils and plenty of room in the main compartment to hold your textbooks
- A sturdy top handle
- Wide padded shoulder straps and adjustable sternum strap (with rails to easily adjust the height)
- Fully padded breathable back panel for superior comfort
- One gamer confirmed it does fit an Acer Nitro 5 snugly
- Dimensions: 19.5″ Height x 12″ Depth x 13.6″ Width
- Weight: 8.05 lbs
- Capacity: 16 liters
|#1 Lightweight Waterproof College Backpack
#2 Bopai Super Slim Laptop Backpack
View at Amazon!
- For those of you who prefer a lightweight, sleek waterproof backpack for college, the Bopai Slim pack is the one for you
- Built with waterproof microfiber leather and durable ballistic nylon (this bag is no joke when it comes to keeping the moisture out)
- Flannel-lined laptop sleeve in the main compartment fits up to a 15″ laptop
- Hidden rear zip pocket for stashing your valuables or pocket change
- Internal organization in the main compartment and removable buckle keychain in the front compartment
- A padded and breathable back panel
- A top choice for college students who bike to school and don’t want a bulky backpack weighing them down
- Dimensions: 16.5″ Height x 11″ Wide x 2.7″ Depth
- Weight: 1.55 lbs
|Our #1 Budget-Friendly Pick
#3 AUGUR Waterproof College Backpack
View at Amazon!
- The AUGUR waterproof backpack is the most affordable backpack in our Top 5 with its minimalist design
- It’s also the first pack on our list with an external USB port (a feature we love) that allows you to charge your phone on the go by stowing a power bank inside the bag
- Built with waterproof Oxford foam material (great for keeping out rain, not great for submerging underwater)
- Dual side mesh water bottle pockets (tall enough to hold popular insulated stainless steel water bottle brands)
- Internal laptop sleeve fits up to a 15.6″ computer
- Contoured shoulder straps and padded back panel
- College students say this pack is the perfect size, not too big or too small
- Dimensions: 18.9″ Height x 14.2″ Wide x 6″ Depth
- Weight: 1.3 lbs
|Lighter Than the Pelican U100
#4 Pelican U105 Urban Backpack
View at Amazon!
- The U105 is Pelican’s minimalist backpack with a built-in waterproof & dustproof laptop case (holds up to a 15″ laptop)
- Concealed mesh water bottle side pocket w/ zip closure
- Rugged, balanced top carry handle
- Tough & water-resistant Cordura nylon outer shell
- Separate accessory compartment
- The hard-shell front panel provides impact protection for tablets
- The outer frame provides 360º impact protection
- Current colleges students say the U105 holds up well and doesn’t show wear
- A full-mesh padded ventilated back panel
- Dimensions: 20.5″ Height x 9.5″ Depth x 12.5″ Width
- Weight: 4.22 lbs
- Capacity: 19 liters
|#1 Best Anti-Theft Waterproof College Backpack
#5 Korin Design FlexPack Pro
View at Amazon!
- The new Korin FlexPack Pro is ridiculously awesome and even better than its predecessor, the Korin ClickPack Pro
- If you treasure functionality, style, and want a backpack that fits the bill for every occasion, the Korin FlexPack is the best pack currently on the market
- An external USB port with both an inlet and outlet allows you to charge your power bank from outside the bag (the first bag we’ve reviewed with this feature)
- The multi-layer tough outer shell is 100% water resistant, better than inferior backpacks that claim to be water-resistant
- Built-in retractable cable lock to hook the bag to a fixed object while you’re in transit or away from your bag
- Plenty of internal organization pockets for your school supplies and more than enough room for your textbooks
- Rugged and reliable dual-layer YKK zippers
- Internal padded laptop sleeve holds up to a 15.6″ computer
- Dimensions: 19″ Height x 7″ Depth x 14″ Width
- Weight: 3.7 lbs
Waterproof College Backpack Quick Buying Guide
- Be aware of the difference between waterproof and water-resistant. A lot of backpack companies claim that their packs are “waterproof,” when in reality, they’re barely water-resistant. Keep an eye out for the types of fabric used to build the outer shell of the pack.
- Pelican backpacks are the gold standard for keeping your laptop safe. The integrated pelican case is dustproof, waterproof, and provides ample impact protection. If you’re a gamer who treasures his/her laptop, either Pelican backpack in our top 5 is a solid choice depending on the size of your laptop.
- For those of you who prefer a feature-rich backpack that makes life so much easier on every level, the Korin FlexPack Pro is the one for you. It’s perfect for travel with its TSA-friendly combo zipper lock, external USB port, and attractive appearance. It’s the kind of bag that draws compliments and makes friends jealous.
- If you bike to college or ride a motorcycle, the Bopai and Augur packs are the lightest weight options. Keep in mind, the Bopai backpack only holds 1-2 textbooks depending on how thick they are. The Augur bag has a larger capacity, and most Augur student owners say it’s the perfect size for holding their daily school supplies.
From highest price to lowest:
- Korin Design
I’m confident that this guide contains only the best of the best waterproof backpacks for college students. We don’t like to fluff up our lists here and prefer to stick with the crème de la crème.
We’re also big on anti-theft backpacks because they have the most useful features available in a pack and give us that extra peace of mind we crave while traveling.
It’s critical to keep your tablet, laptop, and phone secure while on campus because ya never know what kind of shady kids could be making a hobby out of stealing their fellow students’ possessions.
I saw it happen at Clemson, and back when I was in college, we didn’t have all the backpacks with awesome features that you have available today. Bottom line, keep your valuables secure, close, and dry with one of the quality waterproof backpacks in our Top 5.
Jump Back to Top 5 Chart