Welcome to the Boss guide to choosing the most secure garage door opener. In this guide, you’ll find a healthy assortment of options to suit every budget. Nowadays, there are a lot of great smart garage door openers with security features that are more affordable than you might think. With a smart opener, you have the option to receive real-time notifications directly to your phone. This feature is quite nice because it serves as an open-door alert indicator to notify you in the event an intruder tampers with your door.
Additionally, most of the openers in this guide are compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, If This Than That (IFTTT), Wink, and HomeLink. Simply connect your phone to the opener by downloading a free compatible iOS or Android app. Once connected, you have full control over the door and the notifications you receive.
In addition to smart features, it’s important to choose other security options such as a built-in camera, motion sensors, integrated deadbolt locking system, and an anti-theft belt drive system. Let’s begin with an overview of the Top 5 models that lists all the key specs to consider.
After the overview, we’ll take a closer look at each model in the reviews section to give you a clear idea of each system’s security features. By the end of the guide, you’ll know which opener(s) is the best for keeping your garage door secure.
The 5 Most Secure Garage Door Openers
|#1) Chamberlain Secure View Wi-Fi Opener with Camera||
|#2) beamUp The Centurion Smart Home Garage Opener||
|#3) LiftMaster Wall Mount Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener||
|#4) Genie StealthDrive Connect Smartphone-Controlled Ultra-Quiet Garage Door Opener||
|#5) SkyLink Atoms Belt Drive Garage Door Opener||
Secure Garage Door Opener Reviews
Now that you’ve had the chance to get an idea of what’s available to you, let’s go over the reviews of each unit. In each review, you’ll find all the necessary security info along with the pros & cons of owning each opener.
#1) Chamberlain Secure View Wi-Fi Opener with Camera (B4545)
The best secure garage door opener for the money is Chamberlain’s model B4545 Secure View package. Of the five models in this guide, this one gives you a 1080p camera out of the box. The glare-resistant camera features night vision to ensure a clear shot during all times of the day. Plus, you have to option to sync the camera with the myQ app for live streaming purposes and video storage of up to 30 days with a subscription.
The final features of the camera I want to highlight are 2-way audio which allows you to communicate to you your garage from your smartphone and the option to position the camera manually up to 360º to find your perfect angle. In addition to the camera, the myQ app gives you full control over your door with open and close alerts for added security.
As for safety, the system features reliable sensors to protect your loved ones, yourself, and your vehicles. Finally, the warranty plan matches what other top garage door brands offer, there’s the option to use the Key by Amazon app to have packages delivered inside your garage to prevent theft, and the 3/4 HP belt-driven motor functions smoothly & quietly.
- Fully compatible with the myQ app and available for both Android and Apple phones
- Includes a 1080p security camera with the option to subscribe for video storage
- 2-way audio to hear inside your garage and transmit audio to the garage from your phone (good for package delivery)
- Real-time alerts for peace of mind while away from home or on vacation
- Key by Amazon compatibility to prevent stolen packages
- Reliable safety sensors to protect your family
- Near-silent operation
- Includes 2 remotes and a keypad
- The need to turn off notifications while working in the garage
- Troubleshooting for the Safety Reversal System could be better
#2) beamUp The Centurion Smart Home Garage Opener (BU800)
Another great smart garage door opener with beefed-up security is The Centurion by Beam Labs. There are currently three beamUp models available including The Workhorse, The Sentry, and The Centurion. Of the three models, The Centurion is best for families and couples since it includes 2 remotes, a keypad, and a more powerful 1¼ HP motor.
Unlike Chamberlain and LiftMaster, beamUp features its own app called beam Home rather than the myQ app. Owners of beamUp openers are free to use the beam Home app for free without subscription on both Android and Apple phones. Inside the app, you get the same type of functionality as the myQ app including door alerts, auto-close functionality, custom rules, shared access, and a recent activity log.
Several security features I like are the edge-to-edge LED lighting that completely illuminates your garage with 3,000 lumens of light, motion activation that covers your entire garage, a Multi-Function Wall Button that allows you to lock the door for added security, and the Wireless Door Sentry that continuously monitors your door 24/7. In the event your door is tampered with, the Sentry sends an alert to your phone. All in all, this system offers the widest range of smart security features minus an integrated camera.
- Compatible with Alexa for voice control
- 24/7 door monitoring with the included Wireless Door Sentry
- The Centurion includes the Multi-Function Button to lock the door while on vacation (The Workhorse model does not include this)
- No subscription fees to use beam’s App
- Powerful & quiet 1¼ HP motor
- Shared access allows you to share access with friends, family, and anytime you need it while away from home
- Auto-close to ensure you never leave your door open
- Brighter LED lighting than competing models
- No camera included
- Does not support Google Assistant
- More likely to run into bugs with the beam app than with myQ
#3) LiftMaster Wall Mount Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener (8500W)
Now for the most premium secure garage door opener in our guide, LiftMaster’s 8500W wall-mount model. Unlike belt-driven systems, the 8500W doesn’t eat up ceiling space, and it delivers a heavy reduction in the noise and vibrations that we’re all accustomed to garage door openers making. In essence, this model is the future of silent garage door openers.
Like Chamberlain systems, LiftMaster also works seamlessly with the myQ app to deliver all the most important security features and smart features for enhanced convenience. You have the option to customize your alerts, receive Amazon deliveries inside your garage while away from home, and control the system remotely.
One unique feature you’ll like is the battery backup that ensures the unit works around the clock even when the power is out. As far as security, the system features 1,500 lumens of LED lighting, secure code tech, and an Automatic Garage Door Lock which is one of the main reasons I chose this system. With the Automatic Garage Door Lock, the door automatically engages the included deadbolt each time the door closes for heightened security.
- One of the quietest garage door openers on the market
- The wall-mount system frees up valuable ceiling space
- The automatic door lock features a deadbolt that automatically engages when the door closes
- Remotely control the LED light with the myQ app
- Secure home deliveries with Amazon
- Customize your alert notifications
- Impossible for thieves to open the door by pulling a latch cord
- Not compatible with all types of track systems including roll-up garage doors
- The potential need to frequently adjust the auto-close timer
- No keypad included
#4) Genie StealthDrive Connect Smart Garage Door Opener (7155-TKV)
Now, let’s enter the budget realm of the guide with my top budget pick, Genie’s model 7155-TKV. For a large jump down in price compared to the LiftMaster 8500W, you get smartphone functionality, all the necessary accessories, and backup battery power that provides up to 50 cycles during a power outage.
Unlike Chamberlain, LiftMaster, and Beam Labs openers, Genie uses its own Aladdin Connect app that’s available in the Apple App Store and Google Play store. Compared to myQ, the current Aladdin Connect reviews certainly aren’t as glowing. As for Aladdin Connect vs beam Home, beam’s reviews are currently better, though, beam Home currently has the fewest reviews of the three apps. The bottom line is that myQ is the best of the three apps for reliable functionality.
Lastly, let’s discuss the security features offered by Genie’s StealthDrive opener. With the Aladdin app, you get phone alerts with the ability to monitor your door at all times. Outside of app functions, the security feature I like the most is the vacation lock option that disables all methods of opening the door while on vacation. All things considered, this model is a good budget alternative to pricier smart garage door openers for security purposes.
- Compatible with Google Assistant and Alexa
- Includes 2 remotes and a wireless keypad
- Vacation mode allows you to lock all forms of entry while away from home for added peace of mind
- A convenient light control button on the keypad
- Remotely monitor door activities with the Aladdin Connect app
- Battery backup included for use during power outages
- Powerful 1¼ HP motor
- Quieter than outdated chain-driven systems
- You may experience delayed notifications in the app
- More negative reviews for the Aladdin app than myQ
- No motion sensor for the lights
#5) SkyLink Atoms Belt Drive Garage Door Opener (ATR-1622BK or ATR-1622BKW)
For folks who want to skip over smart technology and want a good old-fashioned, get-the-job-done secure garage door opener, this is the one. However, there is the option to upgrade to the ATR-1622BKW model with WiFi for a small increase in price to get smartphone compatibility with the Orbit Home app that offers limited functionality. For this reason, I’ll focus on model ATR-1622BK.
Currently, model ATR-1622BK is the cheapest of the five models in this guide, and the base package includes everything you need for family use. There are two remotes, safety infrared sensors, a keypad, and a wall console. One missing piece of the puzzle is battery backup power which must be purchased separately as an upgrade unlike the Genie system above.
Several of the reasons I chose this model as one of the most secure garage door openers are the integrated bright LED light, an auto-close timer, and most importantly, the steel-reinforced anti-break-in belt drive system. With this system, you get protection against external tampering to the trolley latch and an emergency cord protector.
- Excellent value for the money
- The anti-break-in system blocks external access by protecting the trolley latch and emergency cord
- Large integrated bright LED light
- Includes all the necessary accessories without the need to purchase additional remotes in most cases
- Use the wall console to program the auto-close timer
- Very quiet operation
- Easily sync it with built-in car garage door remotes
- Clear instructions and easy installation
- If you choose the WiFi version, the app is limited compared to myQ or Beam Labs
- No battery backup included, must be purchased separately
- The least powerful motor of the five models
Before choosing the most secure garage door opener for your home, be sure to consider how much you value having smartphone-controlled features. Of the available apps, myQ gives you the smoothest functionality, yet to get the most out of it, it does require a monthly subscription. Currently, the beam Home app does not require a subscription for full access, and as the company progresses, it will most likely match the smoothness of the myQ app.
Outside of smart features, it’s always a good idea to consider motion-activated lighting, camera security, integrated locks, and reliable safety sensors to avoid collisions. All of the models in this guide offer good value for the money, and your final decision comes down to your preference. One final tip is to be sure the system is compatible with your door, especially if you choose a wall-mount system such as the LiftMaster 8500W.