Good evening fellow astronauts, traveling Chuck back again to continue the best anti-theft backpack series here at Anti-Theft Boss. Today, I’ll be sharing my Bobby anti-theft backpack review. The designers of the Bobby, XD Design, have created a real treat for us anti-theft bag fans. They are the trendsetters who conceived the sleek look we’ve come to love along with the superior internal organization design.
Let’s dive right in!
The Original Bobby Anti-theft Backpack Review
First, let’s look at the Original Bobby design as the perfect introduction to the Bobby series.
Check out the video below by XD Designs:
Next up, let’s explore all the features of the Original Bobby.
Original Bobby Backpack Features
- No-access front, hidden zippers, and hidden compartments to store your priceless documents while traveling or commuting.
- USB charging port connects to a power bank inside the bag and allows you to charge your phone or any USB device without opening the bag.
- Well-placed reflective stripes to make sure you don’t turn into a ghost at night
- The clever design pushes the weight of the bag down toward the ground instead of away from your back, which is the reason most backpacks cause lower back pain.
- Adjustable open angles of 30, 90, and 180 degrees: the lay-flat checkpoint-friendly feature allows you to avoid taking your laptop out of your bag while going through airport security.
- Cut-proof materials
- Fits up to a 15.6″ laptop and 10″ tablet
- YKK Zippers
- Tons of internal pockets for superior organization
- Shockproof materials to keep your electronics safe
- Dimensions: 7.9″ x 16.5″ x 13.4″ (depth x height x width)
- Weight: 1.87 pounds
- Can be used as a carry-on travel backpack
- Great quality and durable for over a year
- Perfect for crowded cities
- Gave one person peace of mind during a trip to France
- The USB port is great
- Removes the fear of being robbed in the city
- The feel is almost weightless
- Feels good on the back with excellent weight distribution
- Pricier than other bags
- Too small for some people
- You might not like the construction
- No zipper locks or RFID blocking materials
- Great for travel, not so much for school
My thoughts on the Original Bobby
Overall, I think the Bobby is a great anti-theft bag and the trendsetter in the category of anti-theft travel backpack but is it worth the money?
I recommend giving the Bobby a thorough exam before going all-in.
If you love the features enough and don’t mind the lack of space in the main compartment, this is a great bag for you.
I think people who will get the most out of the Bobby are city commuters or weekend travelers.
For us long-term nomads, it would come up short in the storage department.
Having said that, I do love the design and think it looks cooler than some of the other bags I’ve reviewed.
It’s up to you whether you love the design enough to pay the extra cash.
For those of you who want a larger size of the Bobby, there is also the Original XL that you can check out at Amazon by clicking here #ad or the image below:
The Bobby XL can hold up to a 17″ laptop.
Then there is also the Bobby Compac #adt:
Bobby Bizz Backpack & Briefcase Review
The Bobby Bizz doubles as both a backpack and briefcase.
It makes the perfect toy and accessory for business commuters who need the convenience of a backpack and the professionalism a briefcase offers.
Check out the Bizz below:
Bobby Bizz Features
The Bizz version of the Bobby offers the same key features as the Original along with a few exciting extras:
- Stowaway shoulder strap with a zinc alloy lock
- Anti-cut frame and cut-proof fabric
- Easy to switch between briefcase and backpack mode like Clark Kent
- Zinc alloy lock can be secured to a chair or other objects to guard against grab-and-go robberies
- The padded laptop compartment can hold up to a 15.6″ laptop
- The tablet compartment holds up to a 10″ tablet
- Reinforced steel wire inside the shoulder strap
- USB charging port
- It opens 180 degrees to lay flat at the TSA checkpoint
- YKK Zippers
- Dimensions: 14.7″ x 11.4″ x 1.2″ (height x width x depth) Note: depth is when compacted
- Very comfortable and compact
- Great for a business trip to China
- Sturdy build quality
- Feel more secure using public transportation
- Fits all essential electronics for city business professionals
- Weighted properly for an easy carry
- Quality is super high
- Very lightweight
- Too minimalist for some uses
- Too thin to carry lots of stuff
- No RFID blocking materials
- Shoulder straps might feel too narrow
- Zippers can take time to break in
My thoughts on the Bobby Bizz
Since I’m a professional nomad (yes, it’s a job), I wouldn’t personally use the Bizz backpack/briefcase for my travels.
I do think this is a great bag for business travelers who like to do some sightseeing while on a short business trip.
With this bag, business travelers have a briefcase and convenient bag to hold their gear while they explore the city or countryside.
The Bizz is also a solid option for city business folk.
With this bag, they have a compact option that will keep their electronics safe while commuting to work.
Then once they get to work, they can go into briefcase mode.
My main bit of advice is to be aware that this bag is not designed to hold clothes for a weekend trip.
It’s better for holding all your electronics, umbrella, and other business accessories.
Last up is the Bobby Urban.
Bobby Urban Anti-Theft Backpack Review
The third and final version of the Bobby by XD Design is the Urban, which comes in two sizes.
Check out a video of the Urban in action below:
Bobby Urban Features
Now, let’s look at the features that make the Urban different from the Bizz and Original editions:
- Larger capacity in the main compartment makes this bag more versatile; up to 27 Liters
- Roll-up opening with a steel-enforced combination lock
- RFID blocking hidden pockets in the shoulder strap and behind your back
- A removable harness for outer storage can hold a bike helmet or hoodie
- Easy to clean premium slash-proof fabric
- Slash-proof straps on the combination lock
- Inner laptop compartment can hold up to a 15.6″ laptop
- Additional laptop compartment can hold up to a 12.9″ tablet
- Two additional internal mesh compartments
- Dimensions: 6.1″ x 16.5″ x 18.5″ (depth x width x height) Note: size is adjustable
- Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Contains RFID blocking unlike other Bobby bags
- Larger capacity makes it better for travel
- Slash-proof materials actually work
- It’s basically a large portable safe; super secure
- Unique combination code
- The main strap can be locked to immovable objects
- Does a good job of repelling rain
- Great for a bike trip in the Netherlands
- Adjustable size is very handy
- Must unroll the top to access the inside
- Less internal organization
- The bottom of the main compartment gets dark
- Higher price tag
- No USB charging port
My thoughts on the Bobby Urban
The Bobby Urban is a winner in my opinion.
I love the behind-the-back pocket and shoulder pocket with RFID blocking.
That means I can put all the things I need quick access to in the outside pockets while locking away all my most important possessions.
I’m a bit let down that there is no USB charging port on this bag.
I recommend this bag to people who are looking for supreme protection.
It’s the first bag I’ve seen that someone took a hunting knife to and couldn’t cut.
You could rest easy locking the Urban to a bedpost or other immovable object with the combination lock.
Overall, the Urban has a lot of great uses, but it’s certainly not for everyone.
There is also the Urban Lite edition at Amazon #ad:
Did my Bobby anti-theft backpack review lead you to a final decision?
Which version do you like the most and why?
XD Design definitely created a winner.
The price maybe a little too high for some people out there.
I think the quality of the slash-proof fabrics justifies the higher price; I haven’t seen other bags provide the same quality.
The Bobby also doesn’t make it obvious that you’re trying to hide anything, which is one of the things I like most about it.