Choosing the best safe for storing cash at home can be tricky. Luckily, you have your friendly neighborhood Anti-Theft Boss here to help.
After running a quick search on this topic, I noticed that the #1 listing broke the #1 rule for choosing the best safe for keeping cash at home.
The current #1 search result recommends a safe that I could pick up with one hand. I don’t care how many fancy locks or mechanisms a safe has. If I can pick it up, it’s no good for storing cash.
Well, you may be thinking, what if I bolt it to a fixed object? You can, but a skilled thief with enough time can pry a small safe away from any fixed object.
Since this article focuses on the best home safe for cash (that won’t be moving anytime soon) as opposed to the best safe for apartment/dorm living, you want a heavy model that’s very hard to move or a model that’s completely hidden.
Now that I got that out of my system, let’s get to the fun part.
#1) Steelwater Heavy-Duty Gun Safes
If you’re storing cash and guns (or even cash only), this series by Steelwater is the series for you.
It checks all the boxes for me: fireproof, heavy as heck, 12 gauge solid steel body, superior internal organization, gear drive locking system, 5″ door with 2 layers of fireboard, and several other goodies.
You may be wondering why I recommend a gun safe? Well, if you’re storing cash at home, having a gun(s) to protect your possessions, yourself, and your family isn’t such a bad idea is it?
- Rated for 1 hour of fire protection at 1875°F
- Weight: 380 lbs
- Exterior Dimensions: 59” Height x 22” Width x 16” Depth
- Interior Dimensions: 55.75″ Height x 19.5″ Width x 12.5″ Depth
#2) Steelwater 2-Hour Fireproof Safe
Just looking at this gem excites me. I don’t know about you, but quality safes excite the heck out of me. This second model by Steelwater is an absolute beast. It weighs a whopping 410 lbs and has a 1/2″ diameter anchor hole to bolt it down.
This is the type of safe I imagine when I think of storing cash at home because what good’s a safe for storing cash if it’s not ironclad?
- 2-hour rated for fire protection at 1850°F
- Weight: 410 lbs
- Capacity: 3.55 cu ft
- Exterior Dimensions: 33.25″ Height x 21” Width x 22.75” Depth (Add 2″ to depth to account for handle/lock)
- Interior Dimensions: 27.25” Height x 15” Width x 15” Depth
- 4.5″ thick composite door
- Glass re-locker to protect against drill attacks
#3) Gardall 2-Hour Fireproof Safe
This thing of beauty weighs over 300 lbs and comes equipped with an independent re-locker to protect against drilling attacks.
- 4.5″ thick recessed door to protect against pry attacks
- 2.5″ thick walls
- Capacity: 1.47 cu ft
- Exterior Dimensions: 25″ Height x 17.25″ Width x 19.75″ Depth
- Interior Dimensions: 18″ Height x 12″ Width x 11.75″ Depth
- Weight: 313 lbs
- Tested to withstand 1850°F heat for two hours
- The solid chrome-plated handle protects against brute force attacks
Gardall is one of those companies I will always trust. The company’s been around since 1950, and I can remember seeing their products since I was a kid, being from the northeast where they started.
#4) Protex Fire Resistant Electronic Wall Safe
As a second choice, you may want to install a wall safe to store your cash at home. The advantage of a wall safe is it’s hidden and out of sight. The main disadvantage is it’s a lot easier to run off with than one of the models listed above.
Also, it doesn’t provide you with the same fire protection, however, there’s the option to store your cash inside a fireproof bag for an added layer of fire protection.
- 30-minute fire protection
- Exterior Dimensions: 13 5/8″ Width x 20 3/4″ Height x 8″ Depth
- Interior Dimensions: 12″ Width x 19 1/4″ Height x 5 5/8″ Depth
- Weight: 56 lbs
- Capacity: .75 cu ft
- Velvet-lined interior
- Includes 2 mechanical override keys
- Requires 4 AA batteries (included)
#5) V-Line Quick Vault Wall Safe
Do note that this model is not fireproof and requires an inexpensive fireproof bag to ensure your cash isn’t damaged in the event of a fire.
What I like about this model is that it’s not battery-operated, and it’s made in the USA.
- Mounts flush with the wall’s surface
- No electronic lock that consumes interior space
- Interior Dimensions: 13″ Width x 11.75″ Height x 2.5″ Depth
- Requires a 12″ x 14″ cutout for installation and 16″ on center studs
Bonus Security Tips
- When choosing the best safe for storing cash at home, the three most critical factors to consider are weight, fireproof, and level of security. Please don’t buy a model that a thief can easily pick up and run off with. It doesn’t matter if a small safe is bolted down. For this reason, I recommend wall safes after heavy-duty home safes.
- If you choose to buy a wall safe, you can’t expect the same level of security if a thief finds it since the main function of a wall safe is to stay hidden.
- Invest in a fireproof bag to hold your cash and most important documents. The extra layer of fire protection won’t hurt, even if you invest in the 2-hour fire-rated safe above.
- Don’t skimp on a safe for holding cash. One of the heavy-duty models above should last you a lifetime. When it comes to one-time investments, don’t cut corners.
- Forget the biometrics and all that fancy new stuff that can break and/or take up precious interior space.
- Stick with a trustworthy company like Steelwater or Gardall
I sincerely hope you reached my article and not other articles recommending small safes with biometric locks.
I can’t stress this enough: buy a heavy-duty safe that a thief or thieves can’t easily run off with. Invest in a fireproof safe to protect your cash against fire.
A safe for your home should be a one-time investment. The peace of mind you get when you invest in a reliable model is invaluable.
When you invest in a Steelwater or Gardall, you know you’re getting a product that’s in working order.
I think by now you know how to choose the best safe for storing your cash at home.