Are you feeling confused about which home safe is the best for apartment living? You’re not alone. Buying the right safe for an apartment or dorm is trickier than buying a home safe that potentially won’t ever move.
Since a lot of us are staying in an apartment or dorm temporarily, we need a safe we can bring with us when we leave.
Then there are those rules that get handed down to us from management that limit what modifications we can make inside our apartments and dorms.
Below, I share with you the best options as well as recommendations on how to install the safes to avoid any conflicts with your landlord or apartment management.
#1) SentrySafe X031 Security Safe
One of the most basic and efficient safes is this one right here by SentrySafe. It’s small enough to bring with you when you leave your apartment yet big enough to hold most small valuables. It can be used as a jewelry, gun, document, prescription medication, or cash safe.
- Keyed lock (comes with two keys)
- Two large locking 1″ bolts
- Inner concealed door hinges can’t be tampered with from the outside
- Built with ultra-durable solid steel (will stand the test of time)
- Carpeted interior to protect against scratching of jewelry or other fragile items
- Includes bolt-down kit to protect against thieves running off with your safe because what good is a safe if the burglar can pick it up?
- Exterior Dimensions: 11.4″ x 10.4″ x 6.6″ (Width x Depth x Height)
- Interior Dimensions: 11.3″ x 8.4″ x 6.4″ (Width x Depth x Height)
- Capacity: .35 cubic feet
- Weight: 10 lbs
#2) Moroly Digital Electronic Safe Box
For those of you who don’t feel comfortable having only a key to unlock your safe or prefer the convenience of a key code, here is a solid safe for you. What I like about this small home safe is it doesn’t use a lever arm. I’ve read reports written by people who discovered the lever arm on their safes could be banged open with enough force.
- Heavy-duty double steel deadbolt locking system
- Digital pin code access (program your own password between 3 – 8 digits)
- Magnetic feature allows for auto-locking in case you forget to turn the latch closed
- Comes with an override key in case you forget your password
- Includes/requires 4 AA batteries (estimated life of batteries is 3000 entries)
- Includes two 2.5″ anchor bolts to connect to your floor, wall, or other fixed objects
- Felt padding on the safe’s floor to protect fragile items
- Made with solid steel
- Time out period after 3 unsuccessful login attempts
- Exterior Dimensions: 9.1″ x 6.7″ x 6.7″ (Length x Depth x Height)
- Interior Dimensions: 8.8″ x 6.4″ x 6.4″ (Length x Depth x Height)
- Weight: 6.75 lbs
- Comes in three colors
#3) Book Safe with Combination Lock
If you move around a lot and want something you can hide in plain sight, this dictionary safe could be the perfect fit for your situation. I personally can’t imagine someone walking over to my bookshelf and reaching for the dictionary first.
- Three-digit combination lock hidden behind the fake pages
- The book cover appears real, not cheap
- Comes in two sizes: Small or Large
- Available in three colors
- Exterior Dimensions: 7.2″ Height x 4.6″ Width x 2.2″ Depth (Small Size), 9.5″ Height x 6.2″ Width x 2.2″ Depth (Large Size)
- Interior Dimensions: 6.5″ Height x 4.3″ Width x 1.6″ Depth (Small Size), 9.2″ Height x 5.7″ Width x 1.6″ Depth (Large Size)
- Weight: 1.15 lbs (Small Size), 1.8 lbs (Large Size)
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 18-month warranty
- 24-hour customer support
#4) Best College Dorm Laptop Safe V5.0
Now for the most premium safe on the list thus far. If you’re like me and want a safe that can fit your laptop, this is the safe for you. Another great feature is you can connect this safe to a fixed object without having to drill into anything, simply connect it to a fixed object using the included security cable.
- Fits up to an 18″ laptop
- You can choose to put an AC strip inside the safe to charge items while the safe is locked
- Three padded shelves
- UL-approved electronic lock w/ 99.99% reliability rating
- Includes high-security cable for connecting the safe to fixed objects such as a bed frame or desk
- Option to bolt it to a fixed object, wall or floor using 4 included bolt-down holes
- Interior rubber lining to protect fragile items
- Interior Dimensions: 18.5″ Height, 5.5″ height to the first shelf, 9.5″ height to the second shelf, 14″ height to the third shelf, 3.25″ wide interior shelves, 6.5″ Total Width, 12″ Depth
- Requires 9v battery (replaceable from outside safe)
#5) SentrySafe Fireproof Waterproof Safe w/ Digital Keypad
- UL classified to withstand one hour of fire at 1700°F
- ETL verified to stay waterproof in up to 5 inches of water for 24 hours
- ETL verified to stay closed after falling up to 15 feet during a fire
- Steel construction
- Three live-locking deadbolt locks
- Set your own digital combination
- Includes bolt-down option and hardware
- Pry-resistant hinge bar at door for added security
- Removable inner tray
- Interior light
- Exterior Dimensions: 16.3″ Width x 19.3″ Depth x 13.7″ Height
- Interior Dimensions: 12.6″ Width x 11.5″ Depth x 9.6″ Height
- Weight: 77 lbs
- Capacity: .82 cubic feet
- Requires 4 AA batteries
Additional Safe Accessories
If you want to save money on your safe and still keep important documents, cash or jewelry in a fireproof container, you can purchase a separate fireproof bag to keep inside your safe.
Click the image below to check out a reliable option at Amazon:
If the bag above is too large for your safe, click the image below to check out a solid option for holding cash, passport, jewelry, and other small valuables:
Another safe accessory that can come in handy is a motion-sensitive interior LED light (goes well with the college dorm safe). Click the image below for a quality interior light:
For those of you with kids who are storing handguns and would like an extra layer of security, a cable gun lock isn’t such a bad idea. Click the image below for a reliable lock:
And last but not least, one of my favorite items for hiding small valuables in plain sight, the Barbasol stash can. Click the image to check the price at Amazon:
My Top Picks
Overall, I like the College Dorm Safe above the most because of its versatility. The only downside is it’s not fireproof, but there is more than enough room to fit the larger fireproof bag I listed above inside the safe.
I like that it comes with a security cable to connect it to a fixed object on the fly without needing to bolt down the safe, yet you can still choose to bolt it down.
If you’re on a shoestring budget, the Moroly Safe is my top budget pick.
By now you should have a good idea of how to keep your valuables safe inside your apartment or dorm.
Most people should be able to lift all the safes listed above except for the fireproof SentrySafe which could be too heavy for some.
In the past, I’ve used the Barbasol stash can with success. The dictionary safe could be perfect for you if you’re not too worried about people snooping around your apartment.
Best of luck inside your apartment or dorm!