Since Utility Terrain Vehicles – aka UTVs, Side-by-Sides, and Utility Task Vehicles – are primarily used to transport equipment and supplies, it’s imperative to think your security system through before or immediately after purchasing one. In this guide, we share the best UTV anti-theft devices on the market. These devices will keep both your equipment and your UTV safe.
Additionally, UTVs typically cost more than ATVs, which makes it all the more important to prevent theft. As you probably already know, it’s important to use the devices in this guide along with insurance since theft is never 100% preventable. However, by using the security equipment in this guide, you give yourself the best chance of avoiding the headache that is an insurance claim after a theft.
Below, you’ll find an overview of the devices and the most important specs to consider for each. Keep in mind, it’s possible to use multiple devices for maximum security. Depending on the value of your UTV, it’s wise to implement multiple layers of protection when securing high-dollar equipment.
After the comparison chart below, continue on to consider additional features and the pros & cons of each device in the reviews section.
Best UTV Anti-Theft Devices Comparison
|#1) Trimax Ultra-Max Adjustable Wheel Lock
|#2) LandAirSea 54 GPS Tracker (Real-Time)
|#3) Winner International The Club Tire Claw XL
|#4) Hexis Performance Products UTV Security Alarm System Powered by SCORPIO
|#5) ABUS Maximum Security Chain
Best UTV Anti-Theft Device Reviews
Before we get started with the reviews, let’s quickly go over the types of UTV anti-theft devices:
- GPS Trackers
- Security Chain & Padlock
- Wheel Locks & Parking Boots
- Wheel Clamps
- Alarm Systems
- Locking Nuts
For maximum security, consider combining a chain & padlock, alarm system, wheel lock, and GPS tracker. However, it’s important to first consider where you plan to park your UTV the most and the level of risk. Once you make that consideration, match your security system to the risk level to prevent going overboard or underdoing it.
#1) Trimax TWL100 Ultra-Max Adjustable Wheel Lock
Trimax’s Ultra-Max wheel lock is one of the best wheel locks on the market for all types of vehicles. This lock works similarly to a parking boot, and it gives you more security than a basic wheel clamp. The key difference between a boot and wheel clamp is the steel disc that covers the lugs. With this boot, you prevent thieves from stealing your tire and your UTV with a single device.
Currently, there are two versions of this boot available, and model TWL100 is better suited for UTVs since model TWL400 is for large vehicles and trailers. The one drawback is the locking mechanism on the TWL100 compared to the TWL400. Model TWL100 features a tubular lock, while model TWL400 includes a Trimax padlock for higher security.
For this reason, it’s best to pair this wheel lock – or any wheel lock – with another anti-theft device to get multiple layers of security. What we like most about wheel locks is their size. Out of all the devices on the market, wheel locks act as the best visual deterrent to let thieves know right off the bat that you aren’t messing around.
- Covered by Trimax’s Lifetime Warranty
- Covers your lug nuts to prevent tire theft
- More substantial and better quality than cheap knockoffs
- Keyed alike available for multiple boots
- Easy for most folks to operate with little chance of scratching your UTV
- Epoxy powder coat finish to prevent rust and deter thieves
- The tubular lock provides minimal resistance to picking
- Larger and more cumbersome than a wheel clamp
#2) LandAirSea 54 Real-Time GPS Tracker
If you want to keep tabs on the location of your UTV at all times, this is the best GPS tracker for UTVs currently available. The upfront cost is low, and the biggest hurdle is paying the monthly subscription fee. The good news is there’s no contract required, and you have the option to pay monthly with a range of update intervals from 3-second up to 60-second. Additionally, if you use your UTV year-round, a long-term prepaid plan cuts the monthly price in half.
As for the device, it’s very simple to use, and it operates on the 4G LTE network, unlike other devices that use 3G. The base package includes the device and a SIM card. Once you unbox the tracker, simply download the compatible SilverCloud app via the Google Play or Apple App Store to get up and running. Within the app, you have the option to view historical playback, create a geofence, customize your notifications, and more.
To mount the tracker, first, find a spot where thieves are unlikely to look that doesn’t get too hot. Clean the surface and place the magnetic side against your UTV to get a secure mount. Once mounted, you have the option to disable the LED lights on the device to make it even more discreet and prolong battery life.
- Operates on the 4G LTE network with real-time tracking
- Discounted monthly costs for long-term prepaid plans
- Just 2.25″ x 2.25″ with the option to disable the LED lights
- No wires to worry about
- Speed alerts, arrival & departure notifications, and optional geofence
- Manufactured in the USA
- Waterproof design
- Worldwide coverage
- Requires a monthly subscription to operate
- No refresh button in the app
- Battery life could be longer
- Plastic housing with no rubber coating
- The magnet could be stronger
#3) Winner International The Club 491 Tire Claw XL
If you prefer the convenience of a wheel clamp over a wheel boot, then The Club 491 Tire Claw is worth a look. The first feature we like on this clamp is the locking mechanism. Instead of a tubular lock, this lock features a cylinder with encrypted keys for better resistance against picking.
Outside of the lock, most wheel clamps are very similar, and the Tire Claw doesn’t venture far off the beaten path. The body is made of steel with black vinyl-dipped claws to prevent scratching your SxS. Operating the Tire Claw is very easy for everyone, including seniors who may have trouble using the larger Trimax wheel lock.
For folks who want to use multiple wheel clamps, The Club offers the 491 in a Keyed Alike version under model 491KA. Additionally, there’s a smaller version of the 491, The Club 493, that’s compatible with tire widths up to 6.3″. Model 491 works with tire widths up to 12″, so be sure to match your tire width to the correct model.
- Multiple sizes are available to fit smaller tires up to 6.3″ wide and larger tires up to 12″ wide
- Uses encrypted keys rather than tubular keys
- Easy for people of all ages to operate
- Option to key multiple clamps alike
- Vinyl-dipped claws to protect your rims against scratches
- Requires less time to connect than a wheel boot
- Not a foolproof security device on its own since thieves can access your lugs (pair the clamp with UTV locking nuts #ad for enhanced security)
- No chock, unlike Trimax’s Chock Lock
#4) Hexis Performance Products UTV Security Alarm System Powered by SCORPIO
Of the UTV anti-theft devices in this guide, this one is the most fun and the priciest. Unlike motorcycle alarms, this system is specifically designed for use with UTVs. The Hexis system is for UTV owners who want 24/7 security and a 120 dB alarm to blast in the event of a theft. To give you an idea of the power of 120 dB, it’s enough to cause pain and ear injury, according to the CDC. Examples of 120 dB sounds include a thunderclap and a chainsaw.
Beyond the siren, this UTV alarm system is fully loaded with features. You have the option to customize and set your perimeter, ignition, and tilt sensors. The system includes a two-way RFID FM remote that receives alerts from the alarm up to 1/2 mile away.
Several final highlights are the battery backup, rechargeable battery, panic mode, and silent mode which allows you to transmit alerts to the RFID remote without the alarm sounding to stealthily catch thieves in the act. For ultimate security, pairing this system with a GPS tracker just about guarantees that thieves can’t steal your UTV without being detected.
Note: You may want to consider a similar budget version of this system, the EASYGUARD EM212 2-Way Motorcycle Alarm System #ad at Amazon.
The video below demonstrates how to install the Hexis UTV alarm system on a Polaris RZR:
- Includes an RFID remote with 1/2 mile range to receive alarm alerts
- Optional silent mode sends alerts to the RFID remote without sounding the alarm
- The 120 dB siren is louder than inferior alarms with 100 dB sirens
- Multiple sensors with perimeter security
- Compatible with most Polaris and Can-Am side-by-sides
- Integrated battery backup
- Pricier than basic motorcycle alarm systems that can get the job done
- Must be installed properly
- Does not include GPS tracking
#5) ABUS 10KS Maximum Security Chain
ABUS is one of our favorite lock brands, and its maximum security chains are no joke. If you’re serious about anchoring your UTV, the 10KS is an excellent option. The 10′ version of this chain gives you enough length to attach your side-by-side to an anchor or with a padlock. Also, you may want to consider the loop versions of ABUS’ Maximum Security Chain that are better suited for anchoring.
For security, these chains are made of special hardened steel that bolt cutters and hacksaws are no match for. The only way a thief is getting through this chain is with enough time and a power tool to make multiple cuts. If you prefer to use the chain with a padlock, a good choice is ABUS’ 92/80 Steel Jacket Monoblock padlock.
Also, you may want to consider pairing the chain with one of the most secure padlocks for maximum resistance against picking attacks. Finally, ABUS also manufactures its GRANIT WBA 100 Wall/Floor Anchor #ad that’s one of the most secure anchors available.
- Multiple sizes and lengths available to match your needs
- Made in Germany with ABUS’ special hardened steel
- Loop versions available for more fixing options
- Square-shaped links for better protection against physical attacks with tools
- The durable fabric sleeve prevents scratches
- Anti-corrosion coating ensures this chain survives in all environments
- Takes longer to connect to a side-by-side than a wheel lock
- Requires the additional purchase of a padlock and/or anchor
Choosing the best UTV anti-theft devices requires some upfront planning. The first step is to assess your level of risk and the value of your UTV. In high-risk environments, you’ll almost always want to use multiple devices for comprehensive security. In low-risk environments, you might be able to get away with using just a wheel clamp, and The Claw XL gets the job done.
If you own an expensive UTV, it’s smart to consider installing a GPS tracker. One problem people often run into is wishing they had installed a GPS tracker after a theft. With a GPS tracker, you’re always in control, and when you alert the authorities, they’ll know exactly where to catch the thieves. Like most situations in life, it’s better to act rather than react.